DailyHomeSafety is an independent site. When you purchase through our links, we may earn a commission. Learn more
On this page, you’ll find my favorite tools that I’m currently using or used in the past, and was impressed with their performance.
Over the years I tried and tested a bunch of tools and devices and often I wasn’t particularly happy with the end result.
I created this page to make your life easier, so you don’t have to waste your time and money on overpriced or poor quality products and solutions that will let you down when you need them most and fail to fulfill their promise.
Let’s see my top picks!
Best Tools to Secure Doors
Securing Front and Back Doors
DOOR ARMOR – If I could choose only one tool to secure my front (or back) door, I would opt for the Door Armor kit.
Why do I love it?
- It helps you reinforce those parts of your door that are critically important to prevent kick-ins and other types of forced entries.
- When it comes to improving security, no other tool that I know does such a good job as this one.
- You could have the most secure lock on Earth but if either the strike plate or the hinges are weak, your door is still pretty vulnerable and easy to kick in. Door Armor solves this problem by reinforcing the door frame, the hinges, the strike plate, and the area around the bolt as well (pry protection).
- Install it and forget it: once the shields are installed, you can continue to use the door the same way as before. It’s not an extra lock and does not require any activation. You can completely forget about it and it will still protect your door.
- By the way, it’s quite easy to install: the whole installation process can be done within 45 minutes. You’ll have to get your hands a little dirty (some drilling and screwing is required) but it’s totally worth it. Don’t be afraid of the installation, trust me, it’s not rocket science (even if you’re a beginner DIYer).
It comes in three different combo sets, I highly recommend that you opt for the Max Plus Set that includes a pry shield too: it costs only a few bucks more but gives you full protection.
You can get Door Armor directly from the manufacturer (Armor Concepts) here, or from Amazon here.
For those who are on a tight budget, I recommend this simple keyless reinforcement lock from Defender Security. According to the manufacturer it withstands 800 lbs of force. That’s a pretty high value and in many cases can be just enough to protect your home from forced entry attacks.
Securing Sliding Doors
ARMOR LATCH – It’s my favorite device to reinforce sliding doors.
In most cases, the built-in lock that comes with sliding doors is weak and easy-to-bypass. Burglars often don’t even care about front doors if there’s a sliding patio door as well.
They know that a non-reinforced sliding door can be opened in a matter of seconds.
Why do I think that Armor Latch is your best option?
- It prevents intruders from lifting your sliding door out of its track.
- It also protects your door from prying.
- Convenient to use.
- Easy and quick to install (about 15 minutes).
- Not obtrusive.
- Trusted manufacturer.
- And last but not least, it comes at an affordable price.
Check it out on the manufacturer’s website or on Amazon here.
Best Security Gadgets
WYZE CAM – My choice of indoor security camera.
While it’s cheaper than most of its competition, it comes with a full HD resolution, night vision, and two-way audio. It also works with Google Assistant and Alexa.
It has all the features I need and it’s working as advertised. Why pay more?
ARLO PRO 3 SPOTLIGHT CAMERA – Best outdoor security camera.
It’s wireless, so I don’t have to mess with cords and its battery lasts for months. I also love the spotlight feature that allows me to see everything in color at night. Keep in mind that it won’t work without a base station or SmartHub.
RING VIDEO DOORBELL – Nothing new, I still think that Ring video doorbell is a superior choice.
Best Tools to Make Your Home Safer
FIRST ALERT CO DETECTOR & SMOKE ALARM – Essential safety device in every home.
Nothing fancy but it does its job and might save your life one day. I really like that it has dual sensors: it detects both carbon monoxide and smoke. And it’s made by a reputable manufacturer. Reliable carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms are must-have safety devices in every home.
FIRST ALERT ABC FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Another essential safety item. This one is a multipurpose (ABC) fire extinguisher that means it fights paper, cloth, wood, plastic, flammable liquid (such as oil, gasoline, or grease), and electrical fires. Don’t procrastinate if you don’t have any fire extinguisher in your home: get some today. Safety is paramount.
HOME SAFETY KITS FROM AMERICAN FAMILY SAFETY – Best emergency preparedness kits
If you’re like me, you’re always well-prepared for a possible emergency. American Family Safety has a bunch of different kits for any major emergency or disaster, such as floods, hurricanes, blackouts, wildfires, etc. I recommend that you always have a 72-hour emergency survival kit on hand. That will dramatically increase your family’s chance of survival in many emergency situations.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more