Best Adaptive Shoes for Seniors – Plus Quick Tips for Buying
Last Updated on
Wearing the right footwear can make a real difference for seniors. There are many common health conditions that put elderly people at a higher risk for falls and slips. Often, regular shoes are not the best choice for older adults because they can contribute to fall-related injuries. Seniors who experience swollen feet, deformities or pain need specially designed shoes.
Wearing supportive and comfortable footwear is one of the most important steps towards safety and comfort. This when adaptive shoes and slippers for seniors come in handy.
Adaptive shoes and slippers are easy to put on and adjust. They’re usually made of durable, elastic materials that make the shoes comfortable even with swollen feet so you don’t have to buy a bigger size.
Adaptive shoes are velcro or have other easy to handle closures instead of laces. Some slip-on models are really easy to put on. This can be a real benefit for those seniors who have a hard time dressing.
Benefits of Adaptive Shoes for Seniors
- Thanks to the stretchable material, adaptive shoes won’t be tight and uncomfortable if your feet become swollen by the end of the day.
- They’re easily adjustable to relieve any pressure on your feet and ensure maximum comfort.
- You don’t have to bother about laces. Adaptive shoes can be put on with a few movements.
- Comfortable and well-fitted adaptive shoes help to maintain your stability and can contribute to reducing the risk of falls. They’re great shoes for seniors with balance problems.
- A solid pair of adaptive shoes can help you to prevent knee and back pain resulted from wearing poor footwear.
- Wearing tight, uncomfortable footwear can lead to wounds and ulcers. Adaptive shoes can prevent those injuries.
- You’re more likely to stay active when you’re wearing comfortable shoes. More activities (even walking) help you to prevent chronic health conditions like diabetes or heart disease. Doing exercise also improves your mood and fights against obesity.
When Do You Need an Adaptive Shoe?
Most seniors will benefit from adaptive footwear. If you have balance issues, arthritis, difficulties to bend down or your feet tend to swell, adaptive shoes can make a real difference for you. They’re also recommended if you’re at a higher risk for falls or when regular shoes are just not comfortable enough.
Besides being comfortable, adaptive shoes can really improve safety. However there’s a lot more you can do if you want to avoid falls. We’ve collected 14 simple and effective tips for seniors to prevent falls in this article. Make sure you check it out!
Tips to Find the Best Adaptive Shoes for the Elderly
- To prevent falls opt for a model with a non-slip sole that ensures proper adhesion even on wet floors.
- Shock-absorbing soles improve comfort and can be particularly beneficial for seniors with degenerative joint diseases. As an alternative, you can buy a shock-absorbing insole.
- Many adaptive shoes are velcro but if you have arthritis in your hands, you may want to go for slip-on models.
- Shoes with a wide opening are much easier to put on and they’re particularly useful when your feet are swollen.
- Opt for shoes with a flat heel: they contribute to spine health, improve balance and help to prevent tension and pain in the calf muscles.
- As time goes by, there’s a significant loss of fat in the feet. Fat pad loss can make your feet more sensitive and can lead to foot pain. That’s why well-cushioned shoes are more comfortable for seniors.
- Using a long shoehorn makes it even easier to put on adaptive shoes because you don’t have to bend down.
- Don’t buy shoes or measure your feet in the morning, particularly if your feet and ankles prone to swell. Your feet normally expand a little during the day and also, edema usually gets worse by the afternoon and the evening hours.
Long story short: the afternoon is a better time for purchasing shoes and measuring feet than the morning.
Best Adaptive Shoes and Slippers
When buying always choose well-established brands and trusted retailers that offer a money-back guarantee. You don’t want to purchase and wear any footwear that’s not a perfect fit for you.
When it comes to adaptive footwear, you can find many online stores specialized in adaptive clothing and shoes. However, not all are reliable and deliver the same quality. There are two, well-known, trusted brands that have been present on the market for decades: Silvert’s and Buck & Buck. I always start searching on their website and the vast majority of the times I find what I look for.
Silvert’s was founded in 1929 and has a large selection of adaptive footwear. You’ll find only quality products on their website. Many of them are specially designed for seniors.
On the product page, there’s an illustration below each item that shows you exactly how to measure your feet to choose the correct size. Also, there’s a detailed chart with all the benefits of the product. It’s very handy.
They offer a 45 days money-back guarantee so you don’t have to worry about choosing the wrong shoes.
Buck & Buck has been in the clothing and shoe industry for more than 40 years. Concerning footwear Buck & Buck has fewer available items than Silvert’s, yet regarding quality, you won’t be disappointed. There’s a chart on their website that helps you to choose the right size. If you’re not satisfied, you can return the purchased item and they’ll replace it or give you a refund.
Best Adaptive Shoes for Women
- You’ll find a large selection of adaptive shoes at Silvert’s. They’re all easy to put on, comfortable and specially designed for different health conditions, like diabetes, arthritis or swollen feet. Check out the adaptive shoes for women at Silvert’s.
- You can also have a look at Buck & Buck online store. There are fewer shoes but they have some special ones as well. Check out the adaptive shoes for women at Buck & Buck.
- Nike Flyease Shoes can be a great choice for active seniors. They’re easy to put on and take off thanks to the zipper-and-strap system that was designed for these shoes. The Flyease line is made for athletes but anyone who needs comfortable adaptive shoes can benefit from them.
- For those who like a more sporty style, it’s also worth having a look at this model.
- Propet also has a comfortable, lightweight slip-on walking shoe, however, they’re not the best for swollen feet.
Best Adaptive Shoes for Men
- At Silvert’s, they have a great variety of adaptive shoes for many health conditions that have special design and properties. Most of them are extra wide and slip resistant. Check out the adaptive shoes for men at Silvert’s.
- It’s also worth visiting the website of Buck & Buck for adaptive shoes for men.
- Nike Flyease Shoes are also available for men, actually, there’s a larger selection of men’s shoes than women’s.
- Propet has well-cushioned leather velcro shoes with built-in heel stabilizer that are Medicare approved.
- If you prefer elegant style, check out this leather Hush Puppies slip-on shoe. You can choose from three different colors.
Best Adaptive Slippers
Adaptive slippers can be a great choice to enhance safety at home: besides being comfortable they can help you to prevent slips and falls. Check them out at Silvert’s (women’s and men’s) and at Buck & Buck (women’s and men’s).
Recent Content You May Like